February 25, 2023

 

 

Going through the Agua Clara Locks reminds me that our Christian Journey 

has many steps to ascend or descend.

 

God’s mercy is reflected in the scriptures.  What is his mercy?  God’s not punishing us for what we deserve for being the sinners we are, but he wants to encapsulate his Grace to each and everyone of us. Each of the readings for today remind me that I am a sinner and need to trust in the Lord to do his biddings.  Every year as Lent approaches I’m reminded of my shortcomings and how I need to call on him daily to forgive me and bring joy into my life.  David’s psalm says it well, Psalm 86:4’5 “Bring joy to your servant, Lord, for I put my trust in you.   You, Lord, are forgiving and good, abounding in love to all who call to you.” Each year I hope I get closer to being the holy person he has planned for me revelling in his Joy.

Lent reminds me that God walks beside us everyday. I need to pray and listen to his call in His word, Songs, and fellow believers to stay focused on being holy to recognize my sin and move to be his creature of light and salt in the world.  My flavour should make those around me know where my heart lies. 

On my recent cruise vacation, I met with a group of Christians for a bible study.  Meeting with those Christians and sharing our faith, reminded me that our small little church community is a small part of a much wider group of Christ’s followers.  All are seeking to bring Christ’s light into the world wherever they may be.  Some of my new to me Christians made me reflect on the passion I need to have in Being God’s Child.  Luke reminds us that “it I not the healthy you need a doctor, but the sick.  I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.” Luke 5:31-32

Christ died for me and all believers to show us a way back to God.  Lent is a calling back to stand firm in your faith and make changes to be the person Christ calls you to be.  As Titus so aptly points out, “those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good.  These things are excellent and profitable for everyone. But avoid foolish controversies and genealogies and arguments and quarrels about the law, because these are unprofitable and useless.” Titus 3: 8-9.  I must make more personal efforts to avoid arguments over words and controversies and devote more time to doing what is good.  In our world where mistakes are freely and swiftly punished and goodwill seems to fall only upon the worthy, let us move to share the grace and mercy of our God.

Lord God, give us a constant stream of grace and mercy to walk closely at your side each day.  In the power of Christ’s Holy Name. Amen

 

- Greg Young

 

May you find comfort in the medley by Celtic worship with It is Well/ I Will Exalt Thee.   

May our worship rise up to God’s throne of Grace.  Love the bagpipes!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023