March 26, 2023

 

Artist: Caroline Absher

Ezekiel 37:1-14


I immediately felt like reading spoke to me upon reading it, the metaphors used in the bible are truly beautiful. The metaphor used here, the bones as the spirit of the Israelites, is utterly timeless. Interestingly, a footnote noted that the Hebrew for the word ‘breath’ can also mean spirit or wind. Our spirits as human beings often need to be awoken by God, it is far too easy to slip into the deep graves of our busy lives. When we feel alone, and ‘cut off’ as the Israelites said; God always seems to find us and rejuvenates our spirit. 


At times I find myself so overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle of everyday life, sometimes it feels like it would be easier if there was not so much going on. Yet, when I am at my busiest, God seems to show himself even more. It is in the little things, like finding a moment of peace in a busy school day. Simply the bright sun shining as I walk to class, or a small sunbeam in the drama room at school. Sometimes I find that the times when I’m tired from my extracurriculars or schoolwork, God finds time to guide me and that is truly comforting. This verse makes me think of all the people who are somewhat dormant in this life because they cannot recognize the small things. This simple nurturing of the spirit through acts of all sizes. It surprises and revives me every time I recognize these acts, it feels like the welcoming embrace of an old friend. 


The words of God in chapters thirteen and fourteen are reminiscent of this, “when I open your graves and bring you up from them. I will put my Spirit in you and you will live.” These words are his everlasting commitment to us, and they tell us that no matter how run down or tired we are, God will rejuvenate us. He will give us his strength so that we may stand even stronger.

God recognizes our tired minds and bodies, he sees our minds searching for direction. In response he sends us powerful gusts of wind to lift us from the ground and gives us a chance to get back on our feet. 



I chose Space Song by Beach House. This song connects to this in the sense that it has a level of monotony to it, especially with the line ‘fall back into place’. It also has this beautiful instrumental to it as well, one that fills the soul. It reminds me of those rare moments of stillness and observation. Though the tone is somewhat sombre, it feels like a breaking of a cycle and not a continuation. It captures your attention and also provokes thinking. 



The image is by a Brooklyn artist by the name of Caroline Absher, it spoke to me in terms of rejuvenation. The beauty of the colours shifting and swirling around the person in the piece, it seems to remind me of the exquisiteness that is our God. I feel like it also goes with the song, the endless unknowns of space and the mysteries of our world. 

 

- Liz Raymond

 

 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023