March 30, 2023

 


When I agreed to write a Lenten reflection for 2023, the first thing I did was to revisit the meaning and origin of the word Lent. I learned that the origin of the word is old English/Germanic, and among other things means lengthen, as in the lengthening of days during the season. Before even looking at the related readings, this resonated deeply with me. I am getting to an age now where lengthening my time here becomes a matter of greater interest than it has been in years past. Aging brings the realization that our time is as limited as it is precious.

Only then did I turn my eye to the readings, when verse 4 of Genesis chapter 17 caught my eye; “As for me, this is my covenant with you: You will be the father of many nations.” Immediately my memory turned to that cold December night last century when I became a parent. I certainly wasn’t thinking of fathering many nations, but like Abraham, I was delighted and grateful to be a father. And as God said to Abraham in verse 9; “As for you, you must keep my covenant, you and your descendants after you for the generations to come.”

It occurred to me then and has done so more in the last few years, that parenthood is a bargain that extends far beyond our own time here. It is the most obvious way to extend or lengthen our influence and imprint upon the world. Though none of us are likely to be the father or mother of many nations, we can ensure that our children carry forward the collective memories of our families past, present, and possibly future. If we are lucky enough to witness our children then have their own children, we see without doubt that our legacy is indeed being lengthened.

I find this comforting and encouraging. Most of us would probably like to live longer, to experience more of God’s glory and this incredible world. If we can’t do that, through our children we can at least ensure that the echoes of our lives will reverberate beyond our own time here.

In this somewhat melancholy vein, I continued through the readings. John chapter 8 verse 51 immediately lifted my outlook quoting Jesus, saying “Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death”. This reminded me sharply that though our time here may be limited, if we accept and follow the teachings of Jesus, we are promised a life renewed after ending our mortal existence. None of us are likely to experience Abraham’s 175 years, but through Christ’s sacrifice we have the opportunity and invitation to lengthen our essence eternally as one with God in the heavenly kingdom. 

 - Brad Gillespie

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023