February 28, 2023

 

“The Disciples Learn to Pray” by Alik Arzoumanian, from The Children of God Storybook Bible by Archbishop Desmond Tutu (Zondervan 2010)

 

 

Our Father, who are in heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread,

and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us.

Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil,

For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory,

Forever and ever, amen.

Matthew 6:9-13

 

 

A little while ago, I carefully removed a palm cross from where it had been pinned all year by my back door, and added it to a pile of others like it on a table in the church entryway. Placing my cross on that stack of its year-old, sun-faded, stiffly curled siblings, I thought of all the people who had entered the building before me that morning and who were still to come, and how we were collectively participating in this little act.

 

I have been taking much delight in participating in the Anglican Faith Foundations meetings after Sunday services for the last few weeks. The group that has gathered there brings a variety of perspectives and I have found the conversations to be really meaningful. During one meeting, we discussed a little bit how, in the Scriptures, the words can be understood to apply to us all collectively rather than individually. Especially in an individualistic culture like ours, it can take some re-training to read the Bible this way.

 

One of today’s readings is Matthew 6:7-15, which contains the Lord’s Prayer (verses 9-13). The words of that prayer are known well by many people, regardless of faith status. I have often prayed the words of the Lord’s Prayer to myself, and despite the words ‘our,’ ‘us,’ and ‘we,’ I have often found it easier to understand them on my own behalf: “Give me this day my daily bread, forgive me my sins…” Certainly God does provide for our individual needs and forgives our individual sins, but I think there is deep meaning in understanding the Lord’s Prayer as words offered to God through many diverse voices united. The practice at St. Augustine’s puts a spotlight on the collective nature of that prayer. I love the introductory phrase, “As our Savior Jesus Christ has taught us, we are bold to say…” followed by the choral reading or recitation of the words we know so well as we kneel with our heads bowed all at once.

 

Like the returning of palm crosses and the offering up of the Lord’s Prayer, Lent is also a practice whose meaning is enriched by collective participation. I am fortunate to belong to a family of believers at St. Augustine’s in Lethbridge, which in turn belongs to an even bigger family of believers that stretches globally. As we journey through these weeks of Lent, may we remember that we do not do so alone but that we seek the Lord in a great company from all corners of the world.

 

To go along with this reflection I have chosen the song “Your Love is Strong” by Jon Foreman, in which he sings the words of Matthew 6 in both individual and collective senses.  


- Sarah Viejou

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023