March 29, 2023

 
Veggie Tales,  “Stand up for what you believe in”

 

Daniel 3:13-28  Psalm 24: 1-6,  Romans 10:14-21   John 8: 31-47

 

Every time I read the story in Daniel about Shadrach, Meshach and Abenego - I remember Veggie Tales. “Rack, Shack and Benny” were the names of the characters who we meet in the passage from Daniel. To my great delight the video can still be found on YouTube (see end of post for video)

In a very boppy song toward the end of the video (with dancing peas and a catchy tune) we hear the words, “Stand up, for what you believe in (believe in)….  God, (He’s the one to back you up), will stand with you.” (I am singing it out loud as I type, I know, great image).

While we see in the Gospel for today people arguing about who are God’s people, there is no doubt to Rack, Shack and Benny in the book of Daniel. They can identify clearly who they are, who their God is and where they should draw the line.

It’s actually pretty astounding. They speak so plainly and with absolutely no guile. King Nebuchadnezzar, who holds their lives quite literally in his hands, has plainly told them that they will die a slow, hot, sizzling death if they do not bow down to idols he has created.

Their answer: “We do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter.”

When was the last time you were misunderstood, wrongly accused, or even just misquoted and simply sat back and said, “I don’t need to defend myself before you in this matter”? I mean I can count on one hand how many times that has happened. It’s our knee-jerk in some ways, isn’t it? We defend ourselves thinking that we need to convince the person of our innocence or to clarify our situation.

By not defending themselves and by simply living their faith boldly these three enter the furnace believing wholeheartedly that God is not only able, but will deliver them from that life threatening furnace.

What a gift to live without guile. Simply understanding ourselves as beloved of God. Secure in the fact that nothing and no one has any real power over us. I wonder what would be different in our lives if we were to truly able to rest in that truth?

I recently came across a prayer which was a good reminder to sit in my belovedness. What follows is a short excerpt

 

From the desire of being esteemed – Deliver me, Jesus.

From the desire of being praised – Deliver me, Jesus.

From  the desire of being consulted – Deliver me, Jesus

From the desire of being approved – Deliver me, Jesus

 

From the fear of being humiliated – Deliver me, Jesus

From the fear of being forgotten – Deliver me, Jesus

From the fear of being wronged – Deliver me, Jesus

 

May we be freed from both fears and desires that remove us from our centrality in Christ and the assurance of His love for us. May we live then with the boldness of Rack, Shack and Benny.

- The Ven. Dr. Pilar Gateman 

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

April 2, 2023

Ash Wednesday - February 22, 2023